7.11.2012

No Push-Up Bra or Thong. Just Professionalism.


Really.
I should know better than to read articles about teachers, because I have this weird, sick need to read the comments that go along with said piece of writing. I do not know where this comes from, because inevitably, I get angry, I hurl myself in a corner with my arms chained around my knees, and no amount of rocking will calm me down until I get some dark chocolate. Okay, that part's not true, but it's still okay to give me chocolate if you feel it will help.

The latest article "Wichita teachers tell school board to end salary freeze" is on Kansas.com and the link is here: (That article I just mentioned), and like an idiot, what I did was click on the Comments tab. Dang it!  ANY time an article comes up about teachers on Kansas.com, we are assaulted with a wicked barrage of insults. If half of those comments were true about me, I think I really would hide out in the corner and nothing from a cacao plant could help bring me out of this one. One such comment so spoke to my heart and soul (for that soul is squishy and tender) that I had to write about it. It glared at me from the ninth page of comments. No, I did not read all nine pages, I promise. Here is a partial comment from a nameless citizen who is expressing his freedom of speech in a public forum for anyone with an Internet connection to see, and therefore, does not need to proofread, nor does he need to consider anyone's reaction to said comment: If your [sic] not making enough money in the CHOSEN field of being a teacher then get a full time job!!

The emphasis of the word "chosen" was his, as well as the extra exclamation point to really drive home the point.

I don't have a full-time job?? Holy chalkboard, Batman! How did I not know this? Imagine all of those hours that are now suddenly freed so that I can do things like--eat breakfast at the table, or take nice long walks when it is convenient for me. How about talking on the phone with friends (ooh, that sounds so 80's).  I certainly feel like I have a full-time job--even in the summertime. I do refrain from hanging out at the kiddie pool with my margaritas and bon-bons most of the time, but I do shave off some time to actually be with the kid and do important things like bathe and eat lunch. If teaching felt even more of a full-time job, why I might have to cut out something not important--like breathing. Obviously, the opinion came from a poster whose tone is against teachers, and it is the above comment that sends me over the edge into Tear Off My Earrings/It's ON Now-Land faster than anything else. I do wonder (seriously) when the last time he has been in a classroom.

The teachers I know are professional.
The teachers I know care about their students.
The teachers I know work hard during any breaks they have.
The teachers I know take classes during the summer and continually strive to improve themselves.
The teachers I know have chosen to be teachers because they care about what they do, who they are, and who they reach.

Of course, there are those teachers who don't do any of the above, and that's a shame. But someone must have worn their push-up bra and thong with the word Idiot on their workout pants on the wrong day.

Where's that chocolate? Bueller?

So, what should a self-respecting blogger do?  Write a poem, of course! The only problem is that I couldn't decide if I wanted to write similarly to an Ode on a Grecian Urn by John Keats or emulate Shakespeare and get all punny and what not or write my po'm in the style and despair of ol' Em Dickinson.

In the end I decided on the literary genius of this current culture's idea of soul, meter, verse.  I felt that emulating these authors would truly get to the heart of what I was feeling.  I feel I made the obvious choice:


Sexy and I Know It by LMFAO. 

I was quite liberated with my improper grammar and taking extreme liberty with syllable counts, but that's show business.  Here you go. Enjoy!



I'm Workin' and I Know It


When I walk on by, kids be learning like you know why
I teach to the beat, writing on a notebook sheet; gotta write neat, yeah
This is how I roll, chalk print, verbs outta control,
It's Catlin with the big grin
And like my school year this is where I been

Ah ... Girl look at that brain
Ah ... I work out
Ah ... Girl look at that brain
Ah ... I work out

When I walk out of school, this is what I see
All the commentators stop, and they staring at me
I got passion in my heart and I ain't afraid to show, show it, show it, show it
But I'm always workin' and I know it.

Yeah
When I am on summer, I can't fight them off
And when I'm at the beach (Kansas, y'all!); laptop bat'ry give me an hour
This is how I roll, the work never ends; it's what I do
We're headed to the mall, but I got work to brew
No shoes, no shirt, and I still am on the clock (watch this)



Ah ... I work out (the brain)
I work out (the brain)



When I leave from the school, I can't go on no spree
I make some bucks, but no time to spend; I'm working late, you see.
I got no time for a life, and I ain't afraid to show it,

but I'm workin' and I know it.
I'm workin' and I know it.

Check it out

Squiggle, squiggle, squiggle , squiggle , squiggle yeah
Squiggle, squiggle , squiggle , squiggle , squiggle yeah
Squiggle on the board, man
I plan the squiggle, man
Yeah
I'm workin' and I know it.

Original lyrics by Stefan Kendal Gordy, GoonRock, Erin Beck, George M. Robertson and Kenneth Oliver with my apologies.

I love teaching, and I love my students.  I feel I am in the right field even though I am exhausted much of the time, but it's a good exhaustion.  I wish I could talk to that commentator mono a mano, but even then, I don't think it would do any good.  I'd love to change the public's perception of public-school teachers, but I think there are probably a few who have given us all bad publicity, and that's difficult to fight.  No matter.  I will keep on doing what I am doing only strive to do it better, as usual.

And I am no longer reading the comments' section after articles!
(... Ah ... gotta get back to work. )

11 comments:

Kaleena said...

I am taking a break from writing a 15 page paper for my masters in Curriculum and Instruction for Special Education that I am paying out of pocket for since the school district won't help me pay for it. Tracy, you have sent me into the corner, rocking with my hands around my knees. I know that there isn't any use in arguing with people like that but... I really want to.
Don't read comments, they just make me angry and why put all that useless negativity into something that cannot be changed. I am going to focus it on helping my students. I am a teacher, and I love it.
Thanks for posting.

Dina Coldiron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dina Coldiron said...

You tell it, girl! Let out that frustration in a creative way. Loved it! Don't stop reading the comments...just take them with a grain of salt and remember that some of them are being made by undereducated idiots who were probably CHOOSING to sleep through their classes and not listen to AWESOME teachers such as yourself...but instead complain, whine, and otherwise avoid their homework, thus skating through the school system and wasting everyone's time, including their own.

Dina Coldiron said...

You tell it, girl! Let out that frustration in a creative way. Loved it! Don't stop reading the comments...just take them with a grain of salt and remember that some of them are being made by undereducated idiots who were probably CHOOSING to sleep through their classes and not listen to AWESOME teachers such as yourself...but instead complain, whine, and otherwise avoid their homework, thus skating through the school system and wasting everyone's time, including their own.

Dina Coldiron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Kaleena. Come on over. I've taken out the dark chocolate from the pantry.

:)

Tracy said...

Dina, I think you hit the nail on the head. #1) I have to find a creative outlet that is safe and does not harm others or animals. #2) If I take them with a grain of salt, I will be bloated from sodium intake. Okay, kind of cracked myself up with that one.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Dina Coldiron said...

I have first-hand experience with your AWESOMENESS, so meant every word. I suggest you take your grains of salt from the rim of a margarita...they'll be so much better that way. :-)

Tracy said...

I feel a girls' night comin' on! :D

Kaleena said...

Whahooooo! Dark chocolate! You promise? heheheheeh

Tracy said...

Kaleena, I promise. :)