7.19.2007

Welcome to Post #100

Ahhh, post 100. What do I win; what do I win?? I win a great big heapin' helpin' of nothin. :)

My Title should read: How to Be Nice and Not Be a Complete Jack*ss About It.

As we were driving to Wendy's tonight (I was not cooking, and I wanted one of their salads), traffic piled up on Greenwich Rd. I was in the proper turn lane and being patient. One guy was kind enough to not pull all the way through so that I could turn. He waved me through. <--That's the end of his niceness. I would have pulled through to acknowledge his niceness, and I would have waved my thanks to him, but I couldn't turn. In the other lane came barreling up an SUV. The man waiting just for me waved more vigorously and then more vigorously when I wouldn't budge. The SUV came closer, and if I had gone when the man waiting had waved me, then I wouldn't be writing this and my family would be visiting us in the hospital or making arrangements for the other possible event. Unfortunately, the man waiting was more concerned with his chivalry than our safety and he was upset and frustrated that I wouldn't go. The SUV passed and the man still wouldn't move. He was absolutely pissed off now and he was going to be chivalrous even if he were angry about it. I went, but I wanted to wave my thanks in a different way. I hope he had a nice hissy fit on the way to wherever he was going and got it over with. I'm sure he was thinking about how nice he was and how people treated him when he was just trying to be nice.

Being nice is one thing, but have some common sense by taking a look around you at the same time.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I forgot to report about the absolutely most hideous fit I have ever heard by a child. Thankfully, it wasn't mine. And if it had been, I wouldn't have said something asinine like, "I'll talk to you about it later when you're happier" like this mother did.

Excuse me??

The girl, who was probably 7 or 8 years old, was SCREAMing at the top of her lungs in the Ladies/Girls' locker room about how her mother kept buying her swim lessons and that she could just do this on her own. She keeps paying for her to be serious, is what the girl said. Weird. The teacher must've wanted the girl to do something that the girl didn't want to do, because it sounded to me as if the the girl is used to getting what she wants.

The tirade lasted the entire time we were putting our things in our locker, going to the restroom, digging out swim goggles. Emily just looked at me like the girl was crazy and she couldn't believe this was happening. And then the "talk to you about it later when you're happier" comment hit, and Emily laughed. Later, she told me that the girl needed to go to her room! That mother has taught that child to talk to her like that in a public place--I'd hate to be one of the girl's teachers come this August. Calling home will not do a thing. I did have my own teacher moment and really wanted to step in and tell the mother to take her darling out and behave like a mother, so she could raise her daughter to be a good adult and not a self-indulgent one.

But that didn't happen.

I clamped my mouth shut. As soon as we were out of ear shot I asked Emily, "What would I do if you acted like that?"

She said, "I wouldn't act like that."

2 comments:

Cafeaulaitskinnyandsweet said...

Holy Smoke! "I will talk to you when you are happier..." I guess 7 or 8 is equal to 56 in spoiled brat years. We wouldn't want her to understand the inappropriateness of her actions in the moment. *rolling eyes*

Good for Emily! Good for you in raising her to know the right and wrong of situations!

Tracy said...

Yes, I'm proud of her!!--she seems to understand that she can't act a certain and still get the things that she wants. We taught her that from an EARLY age!