5.08.2007

Are we still here?

Kansas has been whacked pretty hard by spring weather this year. Greensburg is barely on the map anymore and several twisters landed a couple days/nights ago in surrounding counties. Tornado siren malfunctions kept the hubby and I up most of the night, and last night, the electricity went out. We knew it was back on when we heard a crisp SNAP and "Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh ... " Emily's little bedside lamp automatically started with the fresh surge of current into it. Almost like a Pooh Poltergeist.

I leaped out of bed before too much awake-damage was done, and there was Em, looking quite startled.

I explained as best as I could at 2:30 a.m. why I had to suddenly turn off her lamp. She in turn wanted to snuggle. I rubbed her back and gave her "Wendy," a giant stuffed girl Grandma Reed had given her eons ago.

Another night of sleeplessness for me when I finally fell asleep somewhere in the 3-3:30 range. Alarm off at 4:00 a.m. Alarm turned off at 4:00.01 a.m.

I feel bad, but probably not nearly as bad as those folks in Greensburg who have completely different places to lay their heads. So, whatever I've/we've gone through, I have to be thankful--and I'll catch up on sleep some other time.

No comments: