7.24.2006

I KNEW I wasn't crazy!

My husband, bless his heart, thought I had finally lost it. But thankfully, the new vet vindicated me, and I am not crazy after all. I am right--and it's very important for me to be right, no matter what Dr. Phil says.

A few days ago, Saturday in fact, we had the windows open all day since it was beautiful outside. I did not know that my husband had closed them before he got into bed just because I was so exhausted and the temperature in the room hadn't changed much. In the middle of the night when I had to get up to go you know where, I smelled the most awful skunk smell. It was so strong that I couldn't get back to sleep for the longest time. I buried my face into my night shirt which had been freshly laundered that afternoon. I finally fell asleep. I think my lack of sleep probably helped cause my injury the next morning during those deadlifts, come to think of it. When I went downstairs to the basement, I still smelled skunk, and after my injury and I'm giving Dale the evil eye because he made some sort of dorky comment about my wet butt, I ask him if he smelled the skunk last night.

"Skunk? What skunk?"

"The skunk smell in the bedroom," I replied. "I probably smelled it so bad because the windows were open."

"Uh, no. The windows were closed all night, Dear." Patronizing. I hate that.

After awhile, he spends some time on the back deck with Cady. He came back in and noticed nothing unusual. He concludes, and he reiterates this later, that I must have been dreaming pretty hard last night, "Because, I didn't smell anything."

Today at the vet's, they DID smell something and they smelled it as soon as we walked in the door. I smelled it on the deck when I harnessed up the Cady-dog to go for a car ride, and I smelled it all the way to the vet and back. I was totally vindicated. The vet's "people" gave me a recipe for skunk-smell removal:

1 Qt. Peroxide 3%
1/4 C Baking Soda
1 tsp. detergent

I gave Cady a bath and washed, soaked and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. And she's still as stinky as ever.

The stuff didn't work. So, off to Wal-Mart again for tomato soup. A LOT of it.

1 comment:

Cafeaulaitskinnyandsweet said...

Cady-dog got sprayed? Oh dear lord!!!! How could Dale NOT smell it? Well, I'm thinking that the next time I let Larry pick up Bettis at daycare, I'll just squirt a bit of Eu de Skunk on his fur so there will be no confusion. Hey, if they can make perfume that smells like essence of play-dough...