7.16.2006

Crossfit Kicks my Behind

I've recently begun CrossFit workouts and I am totally whipped by the time I'm finished. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get through three sets, and that's with taking minute breaks between sets. I'm such a newbie at it, but this week, I plan on doing three days of CF workouts rather than two like I did last week. The week after this, I plan on upping that to four days.

Check out the CrossFit workouts by going to www.crossfit.com. I found the most information from reading the message boards, but mainly it's using 1-3 different exercises in a row for a count of however many you can do within a specified period of time for a total of 3-5 sets. I can only do three sets right now, but hope to move that up to five sets. I also like how I'm only competing against my own weights and my own times and no one else's. My workout this morning was:

300 meter sprints (treadmill)
Pushups
Squat Thrusts (squatting with dumbbells and on the power up lift the dumbbells in order to work shoulders)

I must have been tired because last week, I could knock out 400 meters, 15 pushups a set and 15 squat thrusts (10 pounds). Today, it's the 300 meters, 10 pushups and 12 squat thrusts.

What is especially noteworthy is watching the 13 minute video on the CF site called "Nasty Girls." Not the best name for the video, and there's nothing nasty about it except that these girls work their workouts hard. Made me wish I had a set of Olympic rings--but then again, not.

Goal for the next month: Knock out an unassisted pullup. Just one.

I'm also going to keep accountable by posting workouts, nutrition, and weight. Tuesday morning will be my baseline weight and measurements, and I'll remeasure and weigh every two weeks. My plan is to eat most of my starchy carbs for meals 1-3, and then fibrous carbs for meals 4-6.

Another favorite recipe:

.75 C fat free cottage cheese
3 packets Splenda
1 T natural peanut butter

Blend it like a mad dog (may have to add a smidge of water or skim milk so it'll blend better). Freeze for 15-30 minutes, then eat.

220 calories
8 g fat
14 g carb
25 g protein

No comments: