6.28.2006

Protein Treat

I am severely limiting carbs for my meals 4, 5 & 6, but sometimes, I just need to nibble on something, and it usually ends up being bad and starts a whole round of cravings that I didn't really want. I had made Dale a lemon meringue pie for Father's Day, and usually I don't like l.m. pie, but the meringue just about blew me over. I didn't even know that I liked meringue! Then, of course, I started thinking about meringue cookies that any bakery sells. Those little dingers sound healthy, but are so filled with sugar that the insulin spike could send you to the moon. I found myself dreaming about them (at least it wasn't another pathetic school-anxiety dream!), so I figured it was time to come up with my own recipe with apologies now if someone has already come up with this and I'm too dense or lazy to go looking for it. Below is what I came up with. More fiddling is necessary, but these served for the nibbling purpose.

8 egg whites
1/3 Cup Splenda (perhaps could go to 1/2 cup on this)
1 Tablespoon Cream of Tartar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Whip egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla with electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Sloooooowly add in Splenda and whip like a mad dog until stiff peaks form. Do not under whip.

Note: Every person's "whip like a mad dog" look will vary.

Spoon out whipped stuff onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 275 for 50 minutes. Turn off oven, but keep cookies in for another hour. I was able to get two dozen medium-sized cookies out of the 8 egg whites.

Serving size: 1 cookie
Calories: 5
Carbs: 0 grams
Protein: 1 gram

I thought about adding a little bit of brown sugar (just a little bit!) to give it a caramel flavor. I'm sure other flavorings added to the recipe would give it more unique flavors.

No comments: