3.18.2006

Dessert Malfunction

Dear Hungry Colleagues;

I signed up to bring a homemade cherry-chocolate cheesecake to share my culinary skills with you. I so rarely bake anymore--much to the chagrin of my husband who misses hot meals.

I shopped right after school, though tired. I bought cream cheese. I bought cherries and all the other delights that meld into a delectable dessert. Emily came home after school and at once noticed Mom was up to something. Without saying a word she scooted a chair to my side, and just as silently, I handed her the spoon with just enough batter to eat. She is the one who doesn't like cream cheese, but it hid, mixed in with a chocolate brownie mix.

The time ran short, and I needed to rush off to a Wednesday night writing class. My husband graciously offered to take the cheesecake out of the oven at the bell of the timer. Ten minutes. That's all it needed to be perfect.

45 minutes later when he had that "Oh Crap" moment, he did take it out of the oven.

It is the first time in eleven years of marriage he has apologized so profusely, and I'm hoping I can milk this for an evening out to dinner.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve you and to have a dessert malfunction.

Sincerely,

Tracy Catlin

P.S. Please enjoy Wal-Mart's cheesecake instead.

No comments: